Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A little TLC

I didn't get much sleep last night. Gabe, who usually sleeps through the night without a problem, was up at midnight, 1am and 2am calling for Mommy. I debated going in to him at first, wondering if my arrival and then eventual exit would do more harm then good. But since this was an unusual occurrence for him, I decided that something must really be up. I was then faced with the question of what to do when I went into his room. Our breastfeeding relationship ended last month, so I no longer had that in my back pocket as comfort insurance.

I crept into his room letting only a tiny bit of the hall light shine in. I picked him up out of his crib, held him for a moment and he calmed instantly. I checked his diaper just in case, but all was well. I doubted that teething was the issue since the last of his first set of molars had come in last month and I figured we had a few weeks at least before the next set started wreaking havoc.

I always found it hard to believe that the only thing that could be "wrong" was that my kids needed my presence and physical comfort. To me a baby always needed something more tangible, like milk, a clean diaper or teething relief. It didn't seem possible to me that my mere presence would be enough to soothe all that ails them. I am after all, just me. Sometimes I have to remind myself that in my kids' eyes I am so much more than "just me" - I am a nurturer, a provider, a teacher, a comforter, a helper, a hugger. I'm a mommy. And sometimes being close to me is all that they need.

So I took him over to the rocker where I nursed him a million times as a baby and toddler and just held him close. I rocked back and forth and sang softly to him for a while and then we just sat in silence, enveloped in each other's warmth. He put his head on my shoulder and sucked his thumb a little as his eyelids slowly started to droop. We sat together like that for over a half hour and I swear that time stopped. There was nowhere else in the world that either of us wanted to be. About a half dozen times he looked up at me with sleepy eyes and I gently kissed him on the cheek. He would then close his eyes, smile and put his head back on my shoulder, completely at peace and content. Eventually I eased him back into his crib and crawled back into bed to try and catch a few more hours of sleep before my early riser woke for the day.

As I lay there in bed I thought to myself how few and far between these moments are and how precious they are to me. Both of my kids have only been occasional night-wakers, and while I wouldn't want to be in the shoes of other moms I know who are up 2, 3, 4 times a night with their kids, I am glad for the middle of the night cuddles we have shared. I hope the memories of those times never fade.

2 comments:

Betsy said...

Beautiful post. These are the moments that make all the other angst-- the exhaustion, the frustration-- worthwhile. And writing it all down will allow you to go back and remember when it all seems like distant memory. A mommy blog is basically an electronic baby book. Congrats on the blog.

Christine said...

These are all wonderful posts! You do an incredible job of remembering the beautiful details and describing them so the reader feels as though she is there too. Beautiful! Thanks for giving me the link.
Sincerely,
Pam